Printer-friendly versionSend to friend
About Trout Unlimited
Today, Trout Unlimited is a national organization with more than 150,000 volunteers organized into about 400 chapters nationwide. This dedicated grassroots army is matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts and scientists, who work out of more than 30 offices nationwide. These conservation professionals ensure that TU is at the forefront of fisheries restoration and protection work at the local, state and national levels. Our mission is to conserve, protect and restore North America's coldwater fisheries and their watersheds. Our vision is by the next generation, Trout Unlimited will ensure that robust populations of native and wild coldwater fish once again thrive within their North American range, so that our children can enjoy healthy fisheries in their home waters.
This is an exciting opportunity to join Trout Unlimited in their headquarters in Arlington, Virginia — as the Vice President of Development. The VP of Development will report directly to the CEO and is member of the Senior Staff. The job entails charting a course for continued development as well as expanded development of TU's revenue initiatives. A key objective is to implement TU's development plan, and more specifically, its major individual donor program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and partner with the CEO and board members on all major fundraising activities.
- Have primary responsibility for quality control, development and execution of all proposals; work with program staff to write and archive all proposals with long-term relationship management approach.
- Revitalize and grow TU's planned giving program so that over time it provides a steady stream of revenue for the organization.
- Lead the final three years of TU's comprehensive campaign with a strong emphasis on raising large gifts from individuals.
- Assist in the development, identification, cultivation, and stewardship of TU's major donor program.
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position TU ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to the board, CEO and CFO.
- Develop a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Oversee management of TU's event program.
- Identify, develop and mentor the development team.
- Manage communications to build donor relationships; works with communications director to provide direction for key communication materials.
- 10 plus years of professional experience in a non-profit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources) or substantial marketing and sales experience with policy or non-profit additional experience.
- Knowledge of, and experience in securing planned gifts.
- A keen understanding of best practices in fundraising, a strong record of securing major gifts, as well as growing the size of contributions.
- Excellent communications skills, both written ad oral; ability in influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- A professional and resourceful style; flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside of TU.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- High energy and passion for TU's mission is essential. Previous experience in conservation organization preferred. Ability to construct, articulate and implement annual strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Understands foundations and their gift giving approaches and processes.
- Customer focus.
- Must be able to create enthusiasm and self-confidence in our mission through their own example.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite products.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest, questionnaire, resume and 3 professional references to Vivie Yen by April 30, 2013. No phone calls please.
VP of Development Questionnaire
This is not an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities.
TU is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search. TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.