About Trout Unlimited
Today, Trout Unlimited is a national organization with more than 150,000 volunteers organized into about 400 chapters nationwide. This dedicated grassroots army is matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts and scientists, who work out of more than 30 offices. Our mission is to conserve, protect and restore North America's cold-water fisheries and their watersheds.
Trout Unlimited (TU) is North America's leading coldwater fisheries conservation organization, dedicated to the conservation, protection and restoration of trout and salmon fisheries and their watersheds. The organization has more than 150,000 members in 400 chapters across the United States, including 10,000 members in California. TU's vision is that, by the next generation, trout and salmon will be restored throughout their native range so that our children can enjoy healthy fisheries in their home waters. To accomplish this vision, TU works to protect, reconnect, and restore fish populations and their habitat, and to sustain this work by building a diverse movement of businesses, people, and communities dedicated to our mission.
Trout Unlimited is seeking a qualified individual to work on a part-time basis (approximately 20 hours per week) to assist with grant writing and administration, project management, office management, and program support. This position could become full time depending on programmatic needs and availability of funding.
Duties and Responsibilities
Grant Administration & Grant Writing (approximately 1/3 of position)
- Maintain project files and grant tracking databases
- Coordinate with TU California staff to track progress and expenses
- Assist with contracting and budgeting
- Prepare invoices and reports for funders
- Draft and edit grant proposals and grant reports
- Identify grant opportunities
Office Management & Billing Assistance (approximately 1/3 of position)
- Manage office supplies, respond to partner and member requests, troubleshoot with phone and internet companies
- Process subcontractor invoices
- Communicate with national office accounting staff
Program Support for the California Water Project & Science Director (approximately 1/3 of position)
- Prepare and edit plans, reports, web posts, and other content
- Assist in project scoping, management, and scheduling
- Assist with event planning and execution
- Communicate with landowners, agencies and other stakeholders
- Assist with litigation and administrative proceedings
- Other tasks as identified by Trout Unlimited's California Director, California Water Project staff, North Coast Coho Project Manager and Communications and Science Directors (as needed)
- Outstanding organizational skills, ability to prioritize workload and be highly motivated and self-directing
- Strong editing and written and oral communication skills
- Experience creating and maintaining spreadsheets and databases for budgeting and project management for TU California office
- One year of relevant grant, project and/or office management experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Ability to multi-task and work with minimal supervision
- Interest in aquatic ecosystem/fisheries conservation and non-profit management preferred
- Experience working with funding agencies, nonprofit organizations, public agencies, and landowners preferred
- Familiarity with graphic design and software including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign or other graphical design software a plus
The position will be located the Berkeley, CA office and may require periodic job-related travel to Sonoma County, Sacramento, and coastal watersheds south of San Francisco. Ability to provide own transportation preferred. The position is hourly (approximately 20 hours per week). Compensation is $16-$20 per hour, commensurate with experience.
This is not an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest, resume, hourly rate requirements, and 3 professional references to Mary Ann King by January 5, 2014. Please include "CA Conservation Grants Assistant" in the subject line. No phone inquiries.
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.