About Trout Unlimited
Today, Trout Unlimited is a national organization with more than 150,000 members organized into about 400 chapters nationwide. This dedicated group of grassroots volunteers is matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts and scientists, who work out of more than 30 offices. Our mission is to conserve, protect and restore North America's cold-water fisheries and their watersheds.
Trout Unlimited is looking for a friendly and professional individual to serve as our full time Development Assistant. The Development program at Trout Unlimited engages and serves the organization’s individual and foundation donors of $1,000 or greater. This key staff member must be a self-starter, have excellent organizational skills, have a strong attention to detail in projects both large and small, possess the ability to problem solve, multi task, and adapt to an ever changing work environment. The Development Assistant interfaces with TU's nationally-deployed Development staff members, leaders and major donors on a daily basis, researches and resolves donor questions and concerns, and is a primary go-to person within the organization. Providing proactive and enthusiastic customer service to all staff and donor partners on administrative matters is an essential and required value for this position.
This position requires a dynamic personality with excellent communication/follow-up skills using a variety of mediums, including phone, email, letters, and an internal customer service database system. The Development Assistant will become highly knowledgeable about TU's systems and procedures to effectively communicate with staff and major donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes conference calls and keeps track of minutes and assigned follow up items for participants.
- Quickly masters the use of the Development database (CRM) and makes its information readily-available to all staff, including reports, queries, lists and ad-hoc requests. Interfaces with IT staff to resolve issues or suggest system improvements.
- Resolves inquiries from major donors and notifies them of resolution via email, phone or letter. Keeps assign major gift officer apprised of all such interactions.
- Packages and ships major donor premiums (typically fishing gear and apparel) on an infrequent, as-needed basis.
- Responds to ad-hoc requests for information from CEO, VPs and all development staff.
- With guidance from VP, produces small and targeted mailings to major donors for the signature of the CEO or other leaders, keeping excellent track of results and communicating them effectively. This includes board member appeals, campaign communications, holiday card mailings and other needs.
- With guidance from the major gift officers, produces their targeted mailings to selected major donors for year-end appeals, event invitations, planned gift marketing, and similar needs.
- As part of a team, tracks and facilitates fundraisers' progress with their assigned donor prospects in the database so that income to TU is projected and recorded accurately.
- Sees that donor pledges are tracked accurately in the database.
- Manages the process of receiving gifts of stock and other securities.
- Though work priorities are set by the VP, the Development Assistant is a go-to resource for information and assistance as-needed by any person on the 12-member Development staff and, occasionally, other departmental staff.
- Assists with preparation, execution and follow up of major donor events, in which case occasional travel is possible.
- Performs basic donor research requests and teaches others how to do research.
- Is a valued, highly organized, flexible and competent team player who strives for customer service satisfaction and can be relied on for consistently producing excellent results to facilitate Trout Unlimited's growing fundraising program.
- 3 years of diverse administrative support experience in a professional setting
- Excellent communication skills via phone, email, and letters are required
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook a must
- Experience and dexterity in manipulating a CRM database
- Enthusiastic, energetic, personable and a friendly disposition
- Extremely detail oriented
- Comfortable analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and making informed decisions with minimum supervision
- Strong time management skills and practices
- Able to prioritize projects and excellent organizational skills
- Comfortable working in Arlington (Rosslyn), VA headquarters and interfacing with many staff, even though the supervising VP works remotely
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Fishing experience is not required, but a love for conservation and the outdoors is preferred.
Compensation range: $40,000 - $45,000 annually plus comprehensive benefits
How to Apply
Help us to serve Trout Unlimited's passionate and loyal donors – volunteers who invest their time, energy and money to ensure that future generations enjoy healthy fisheries in their home waters. Please email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Mark Abner, Vice President – Development
(No Calls Please)
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act.
TU is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search. TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.