Gulf Coast - Port O'Connor

Tip of the week 

.Keep eyes out for big single trout on late AM sand near drop offs and potholes... On low wind conditions, proactively hit potholes from as far away as you can reach, with long leader (>9') to keep belly of line off the potholes.... Use white, ginger, tan , gray baitfish profile flies (-size 4-1/0) of various sink rates to probe potholes and drop offs. Go into sight-casting mode as sun gets up 8:30 to 4:00 and be ready to add extra fluoro 12# tippet and some 3 to 4" grizzy seaducers (2/4) for picky fish, goin with as long a leader as you can get away with on calm days, Get out of boat and walk on windy days with scudding clouds/ sun on lee shorelines

Seven-day forecast 

Sunny Monday PM with light NE winds and 40% chance of rain Wed > Thursday with wind back to SSE and 20 Thursday PM gradually increasing 60% chance of AM storms this weekend with 60% chance of rain thru Next Wednesday tides currently above normal with water staying in after last full moon
Consider getting out of boat, mid week and hunt for a big single reds and trout, water temps over 80*, try a walk to take boat noise, approach angle, and line maintenance issues out of the equation Try tan and olive seaducers, crabs and clousers with extra weight on fish on sand go to gray and black and olive flies if white and chartreuse don't work. .. ...ICWW fish on edges reported late afternoons . spread out and be courteous of others on THE water Scattered Jackfish reports on big water edges, dust off the 10 weight and have it easy access,, NOW thru Halloween; if you have to dig it out, of rod rack may be too late.... Jetty tarpon showing on Matagorda jetty look to full, slow sinking lines or 10" sink tips on 10 wt and bigger rods, flies 2/0 to 4/0), white, chart black/ purple and tan or light gray for clear water Trout to 29" taken on fly in East Matagorda early this week, Marcos Enriquez guided by captain Steve Soule!


Late Winter / Spring.Sightcasting begins around 9 AM to cruising fish, or Blindcast 2-3 foot deep flats early with wtd. large streamers until sun gets up and floating grass becomes an issue..... Scattered big fish showing on edge flats late with large flies and slow sinking lines. go to longer leaders (10' to 12') and fluoro tippets as needed Winter to early Spring is a good time to stick a large trout on island edges and isolated sand flats

Must Have Flies 
Cowen's Baitfish Natural ginger 1 2 4 Buy from
Tarpon Toad Black purple and whi 1/0 Buy from
Clouser Minnow Olive and white, 2 Buy from
Grand Slam Crab olive 2 Buy from
Skipping Bug Popper copper silver 2/0 to 4/0 Buy from
Swan Point Landing

Add Content