Bartow, West Virginia
ABOUT TROUT UNLIMITED
Trout Unlimited (TU) is a national organization with more than 150,000 volunteers organized into about 400 chapters nationwide. This dedicated grassroots army is matched by a respected staff of restoration professionals, who work out of more than 30 offices nationwide. These conservation professionals ensure that TU is at the forefront of fisheries restoration and protection work at the local, state and national levels. Our mission is to conserve, protect and restore North America’s cold water fisheries and their watersheds. Our vision is that by the next generation, Trout Unlimited will ensure robust populations of native and wild cold water fish once again thrive within their North American range, so that our children can enjoy healthy fisheries in their home waters.
Trout Unlimited in West Virginia is looking for energetic, intelligent and motivated individuals to join our growing staff for seasonal employment in 2019. TU is working with the USFS-Monongahela National Forest to assist activities that support native trout and aquatic resource conservation. We are looking to fill 3 temporary positions with negotiable spring start dates and an anticipated end date of August 31st. Some potential exists for extension with a maximum 6 month term. Successful candidates may receive training and experience in multiple restoration activities but will work primarily as a machine operator.
Operators work 40 hour weeks (typically 4 days at10 hours/day) using an excavator to remove logging roads, returning the hillside to natural slope. This position requires the ability to lift 50lbs or more working in inclement weather. Work will be based out of the Forest Service Station in Bartow, WV, with travel to multiple sites in the Monongahela National Forest.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Decommission old forest roads.
- Operate small/midsized backhoe/track hoe.
- Provide appropriate water crossings as needed.
- Seed and replant roads.
- Deliver fuel and supplies to remote work locations.
- Maintain equipment and report maintenance/equipment needs to supervisor.
- Safely operate ATV/UTV.
- Assure safety and communication at all times.
- Work remotely in a safe and efficient manner.
- Additional duties in support of the watershed program may be required and include, but are not limited to: tree planting, conducting stream surveys, assisting road decommissioning activities, supporting culvert replacement projects, water temperature monitoring, and education/outreach.
- Maintain a high level of integrity while on the job.
- Ability to quickly acquire skills and learn new techniques.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Willing to work long days in challenging environments.
- Strong communication skills.
- Working knowledge of watershed health and function.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to pass background checks for employment.
- A strong passion for native fishes and the watersheds upon which they rely.
- Ability to think creatively, keep an open mind, and take constructive criticism.
Competitive candidates will have one or more of the following:
- Chainsaw experience and/or certification.
- Trail maintenance or construction experience.
- Experience running heavy machinery.
- Knowledge of hydrology.
- Knowledge of basic mechanical repair.
- First Aid/CPR training.
- Previous leadership or teamwork experience.
This is not an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest, resume and 3 professional references in a single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applicants will begin February 14th. Please note, this is a seasonal, 3-6 month position depending on start date. Please insert the words “Operator” in the subject line of the message. No phone calls please.
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.