ABOUT TROUT UNLIMITED
Trout Unlimited is a national organization with over 340,000 members and supporters organized into over 400 chapters and councils nationwide. These dedicated grassroots volunteers are matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts, and scientists, who work out of more than 45 offices across the country. Our mission is to conserve, protect, and restore North America’s cold-water fisheries and their watersheds.
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
POSITION TYPE/HOURS: Full time/40 hours
The General Counsel is responsible for providing legal guidance on an array of issues to the President and CEO, Board of Trustees, and other senior leaders within the organization. The General Counsel will be directly involved in assessing and mitigating the risks of complex transactions, projects, policy, and employment initiatives. Specific duties and responsibilities are set forth below. The position will be based in TU’s National Office in Arlington, Virginia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as principal legal advisor and provide proactive guidance on legal questions and implications for all organizational matters, including those related to contracts and grants, employment and labor law, litigation, taxes, and liability and insurance.
- Conduct legal research and provide guidance to the CEO on strategies pertaining to legal and policy actions.
- Ensure that TU remains in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including tax laws governing 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Review and negotiate all contracts and agreement terms with outside entities.
- Assess organizational risk regularly, and advise on the creation and development of policies, procedures, systems, board resolutions, bylaws, and other legal documents.
- Work with the communications and development departments to ensure communication strategies are compliant with applicable federal and state laws, including data privacy.
- Monitor and track lobbying activity, and ensure compliance with all related and applicable federal and state laws, including lobbying disclosure requirements.
- Work with the human resources department to ensure that personnel policies and procedures are up to date in all employment states, and consistently applied.
- Manage and evaluate outside counsel as necessary.
- J.D. from an accredited, top-tier law school.
- 5+ years of experience gained in an established law firm and/or in-house with a large corporation or non-profit.
- Experience with, and working knowledge of, the federal and state laws applicable to 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Knowledge of OMB’s uniform guidelines for federal grant recipients.
- Ability to provide advice and counsel to staff on a wide range of legal, policy, and employment issues.
- Outstanding organizational skills with extraordinary attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to understand complex legal concepts and offer succinct explanations and counsel to colleagues.
- Ability to evaluate risk and resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Passion for the outdoors and TU’s mission.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Vivie Yen email@example.com. No phone calls please. Open until filled.
TU is an Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.