ABOUT TROUT UNLIMITED
Trout Unlimited is a national organization with 300,000 members and supporters organized into over 400 chapters and councils nationwide. These dedicated grassroots volunteers are matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts, and scientists, who work out of more than 45 offices across the country. Our mission is to conserve, protect, and restore North America’s coldwater fisheries and their watersheds.
The stream habitat technician will report directly to the project coordinator and will be responsible for working on a restoration team to conduct instream habitat improvement, streambank stabilization, and aquatic organism passage projects. Projects implemented by the position will provide multiple benefits to coldwater fisheries and local communities including flood resiliency, improvement of aquatic habitat and water quality, and protection of aquatic health and biodiversity. The position is based in Concord, New Hampshire and will be involved in work across Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working onsite in remote areas for several days each week.
- Safety – Maintain a safe work environment for yourself and crew members at all times.
- Assisting team sawyer with safe felling of trees.
- Team lift/carrying felled trees to habitat improvement areas.
- Transport of field equipment to and from project sites.
- Operation of hand-powered equipment (e.g. winches, axes, etc.).
- Actively pursuing or interested in a degree in environmental science or related field.
- Ability to work with others on a team.
- Knowledge of natural stream design techniques.
- Experience in the field during tree felling.
- Familiarity with using and maintaining hand tools (e.g. axes, shovels, chainsaws, etc.).
- Ability to hike and carry heavy gear (up to 50 lbs.) through rough terrain.
- Ability and willingness to travel. Valid driver’s license and own vehicle required.
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively to achieve a conservation mission.
- Passion for protecting and restoring trout populations and their watersheds.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Joel DeStasio at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Open until filled.
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.