Trout Unlimited (TU), through its 400 nationwide chapters, has been working for 60 years to conserve, protect, and restore North America’s trout and salmon fisheries and their watersheds. TU’s 300,000 grassroots members and supporters bring our mission to life, creating thriving communities of anglers and conservationists across the country.
The TU Veterans Service Partnership (TU VSP) grew from an idea that began at the local level with our chapters. What started as a dozen or so TU chapters actively reaching out to veterans within their community has grown into a national initiative that involves over 200 TU chapters. For veterans, the TU chapter is a place where friends are made; where someone comes to learn fly tying and then returns to teach it; and it’s a place where a passion is born and a commitment to protect the resource is fostered.
The TU Veterans Service Partnership exists to share best practices, resources and training for chapter volunteers to start, expand or evolve a TU VSP program. Working with dozens of partners, TU is positioned to do exponentially more to engage and support our nation’s veterans.
TU VSP Director will join a larger Volunteer Operations team that includes a VSP Coordinator, who will report to the Director. The overarching objectives of this position are to:
- Expand the number of TU chapters that are actively and effectively engaging veterans.
- Provide improved resources, training, and equipment for volunteers, chapters and other partners to elevate the effectiveness of their veterans programming.
- Sustain our work by growing the annual budget of the VSP and securing the necessary funding.
Duties and responsibilities
- Promote the adoption of TU VSP programs to chapters with direct outreach to volunteers.
- Work with TU chapters already engaged with veteran’s outreach to evolve their programs from one-off activities to a more holistic engagement model.
- Develop and promote systems and structures to encourage increased levels of engagement and volunteerism for veteran participants.
- Create robust volunteer training through:
- Improved program guides
- Sample mentor program templates
- Online webinars
- In-person trainings at regional meetings, chapter meetings and council meetings
- Implement regional, in-person train-the-trainer sessions where the VSP Director trains TU chapter volunteers to address the unique needs of veterans, active duty military and their families.
- TU VSP marketing/branding.
- Raise funds (corporate, individual, foundation) to support the position into the future.
- Budget development; tracking; and compliance.
- This is a supervisory position to the VSP Coordinator role.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Fundraising experience
- Formal training in or extensive experience with volunteer management
- Formal training in or extensive experience with veterans outreach
- Experience with developing and delivering training programs
- Demonstrated ability to work and interact with veterans, military personnel, as well as with sportsmen and women
- Innovative and resourceful self-starter
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team in a decentralized and geographically dispersed organization
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Good sense of humor
- Willingness to travel frequently including evening and weekend hours
- A passion for coldwater conservation and veterans engagement a must.
- A passion for fly fishing a plus.
How to apply
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Beverly Smith Beverly.Smith@tu.org. No phone calls please. Open until filled.
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability. Please fill out this voluntary form and submit it as an attachment to this email address