Trout Unlimited and Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Virtual Event: Introduction To Trout Fishing
May 14, 2021
May 21, 2021
May 28, 2021
Are you or somebody you know interested in trout fishing, but you aren’t sure where to start? Join Trout Unlimited and Backcountry Hunters and Anglers in our R.I.S.E program, an educational series designed to empower new and veteran anglers to get out on the water. Register for the FREE “Introduction to Trout Fishing” virtual event. Over three Friday evenings in May, we will cover everything an angler needs to know in order to gear up and find success in pursuit of America’s favorite coldwater fish.
This program is absolutely free, open to anyone of any age, and families are encouraged to join together. Whether you are completely new to fishing, or you are an experienced angler looking for a new way to test your skills, this program will have something for you.
Day 1 – Gearing Up: May 14, 2021 – 7pm ET/ 5pm MT
Day 2 – Finding And Catching Trout: May 21, 2021 – 7pm ET/ 5pm MT
Day 3 – Finding Trout In Your State: May 28, 2021 – two separate sessions: (PA) 7pm ET / (CO) 7pm MT
Day 1: Gearing Up
- Intro – Explanation of the program. What attendees can expect to learn in the 3 days.
- Fishing License and Trout Stamp – What is it and what does your money go towards?
- Gear overview – What do you need to get started?
- Q&A with presenters
Kelly Williams – Northwest Regional VP, PA Council of Trout Unlimited Emma Brown – Fishing Guide, Lincoln Hills Cares
Day 2: Finding and Catching Trout
- Biology of trout – habits, tolerances and abilities
- Reading water – Rivers, streams and lakes
- Presentation techniques – for spin lures / spin bait
- Presentation techniques – for fly
- Handling best practices – for when you catch the fish
- Q&A with presenters
Eeland Stribling – Wildlife Educator and Biologist Garrison Doctor – Fly Fishing Educator / Co-Founder, RepYourWater Sascha Clark Danylchuk – Executive Director, Keep Fish Wet Corinne Doctor – Co-founder, RepYourWater
Day 3: Finding Trout in Your State
- Types of water in state
- Hot spots in state
- Major issues to trout conservation in state – what TU & BHA are doing about it
- State Q&A with panel
- What’s next?
Greg Malaska – President, PA Council of Trout Unlimited David Nihart – Coldwater Unit Leader, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Dr. Shawn Rummel – Northeast Lead Science Advisor, Trout Unlimited More TBA…
Ben Bloodworth – NW Regional Vice President, Colorado Trout Unlimited Andre Egli – Angler Education Coordinator, Colorado Parks and Wildlife More TBA…