World Fishing Day is Saturday, June 23, and, with the help of FishingTV, Trout Unlimited will be a big part of the 24-hour live webcast.
TU will be on hand for two live webcasts, starting at 3 p.m. MT in Denver, where host Corinne Doctor of Rep Your Water will examine the great improvements in the Denver urban fishery on the South Platte River as it flows the Intermountain West’s largest city. The fishery has improved greatly over the last few years thanks to habitat improvement largely conducted by TU volunteers in the Mile High City.
At noon in Alaska (2 p.m. MT), host Dallas Baldwin will highlight king salmon fishing on Alaska’s Kenai River. While this river remains a strong salmon producer, king salmon stocks are down for a number of reasons. In addition to discussing salmon fishing on the Kenai, Baldwin and representatives from TU’s Alaska Program will discuss Pebble Mine and other conservation issues as the webcast cuts to Alaska frequently over a four-hour time period.
Watching FishingTV’s World Fishing Day webcast is free and it’s easy. Simply visit the FishingTV sign-up page, and register. From there, you can watch the events unfold from all over the world. Not only is TU featured in Colorado and Alaska, but anglers and conservation issues will be featured from localed including New Zealand and Australia to Norway, the United Kingdom, Africa and Canada.
World-renowned anglers will feature fishing ranging from Tenkara angling in Japan, blue-fin tuna fishing in Croatia, tiger fishing on the Zambezi and even street fishing in Paris.
For anglers curious about other types of fishing, or about certain species of fish, it should be a fascinating web series. Here’s a sampling of the destinations and the fish species the event will cover:
- New Zealand, Al Brown, fly fishing for rainbow trout in the Tongariro
- Australia, Steve Starling, Barramundi fishing in Rockhampton, Queensland
- Norway, Matt Hayes and Geir Sivertzen saltwater fishing for cod and halibut
- Japan, Paul Gaskell Tenkara fishing
- Finland, Juhani Hendrikkson, Fly fishing for atlantic salmon
- Italy, Vito Rubino, (sea) bass in the Orbetello lagoon
- Croatia, Thom Hunt, fishing for Bluefin tuna
- Iceland, Rae Borras and Katka Svagrova, fly fishing for atlantic salmon
- France, Ant Glascoe Jr, Street Fishing in Paris
- Sweden, Matilda Leijon, pike Fishing
- Germany, Babs Kijewski, predator fishing
- Texas – Bubba Bedre, Aligator Gar fishing
- Zambezi, Gareth George, tigerfish
- United Kingdom, four-way carp wars featuring Lee Morris, Harry Pratt, Dave Levy and Iain Macmillan
- United Kingdom, James Murray and Charles Jardine, fly fishing for trout on the River Test
- United Kindgom, Andy Ford, Roving reporter, visiting events around UK
- Tampa Bay , Fla., Jason and Jennifer Schall, redfish, snook
- Alaska, Dallas Baldwin, fly fishing for king salmon
- Bahamas, Nuvolari Chitoosingh, fly fishing for bonefish
- Canada, Robert Field and Ashley Rae bass fishing
- Colorado, Corinne Doctor, rainbow trout fishing in Denver
- Florida Keys, Luana Pigatto tarpon fishing
There’s something for everybody. For more about this event, visit FishingTV site and sign up to view World Fishing Day from your device.