TU Business

TU Business: Interior Federal Credit Union

Over a decade ago, our TU Business membership was almost exclusively made up of what we might refer to as “the usual suspects.” Those fly shops, outfitters, guides, and gear manufacturers were our first Business members, and they still occupy a prominent place in our organization. But since then, our membership has grown and diversified to include a host of different businesses, including financial institutions. Like our friends at Interior Federal Credit Union.

Financial services are important – make no mistake. Business members in all sectors of the economy are important to us at TU.

But what’s important is knowing that they each have a connection to our mission, at a local level or a national level or both. That’s what makes them part of the TU Team. And Interior Federal Credit Union is a great part of that team.

I was talking with my friend Stuart Wallace at Interior FCU recently and I had some questions for him.

W:  As anglers we all know at some level about the Department of Interior, but how did they end up with their own credit union?

S:  Well in 1935, employees or the Department of the Interior petitioned Congress to create Interior Federal Credit Union. Today, we are a nationwide credit union offering our members digital banking, access to a network of 5,600 physical co-op branches and over 55,000 totally free ATMs.

W: But doesn’t that mean that only Interior employees can be members?

S: Not at all. As a corporate partner of the credit union, Trout Unlimited employees, its members, and their families are all eligible to join.

W: At TU, we’ve worked with agencies in Interior a lot – like the Bureau of Reclamation, the Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, and the National Park Service. We know that one of the things that drives their actions is a set of core values. Does Interior FCU have core values like that?

S: Of course, we do. Interior FCUs’ core values are integrity, accountability, excellence, empowerment, member satisfaction, and trust.

W: But I’ve been with a credit union for years. A lot of our members probably have, as well. Why would I want to switch to Interior FCU now?

S: For two simple reasons.

The first is to support TU. Our donation program was created specifically for Trout Unlimited. With our Visa® Member Rewards credit card, you can choose to redeem your rewards in the form of donations to TU.

The second reason is to give the gift of membership to your loved ones. Interior FCU has kids, teen & young adult accounts designed specifically to teach them how to start saving money. Interior FCU will even fund their initial $25 deposit to get them started.

W: I know you personally have been involved with your local chapter. Is Interior FCU involved in other local projects with TU?

S:  This Spring, our staff helped out my local TU chapter at a kids trout fishing derby. I would just like to thank the folks at the Northern Virginia TU chapter: Tony Hill, Scott Allen & George Paine. They have been a wealth of information & support.