If you love fishing or believe in the value and need for protecting rivers, we want you to be a part of the Trout Unlimited community.
Today, our membership and representation aren’t reflective of the racial diversity in the fishing and river-loving communities. An equitable, diverse and inclusive community is important to us, but it is still under construction. Though our work was underway with significant personal and organizational learning and action, the recent events surrounding the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and too many others before them, have re-emphasized how important it is to amplify voices of color in this journey.
… if you are a person of color who wants to share, we need and humbly ask for your voices, for your perspectives, for your stories. We are listening.
Our hope is that people who are black, people who are indigenous, people who are Latinx, people who are Asian — and all people of color — feel safe, feel seen and heard within Trout Unlimited.
The conservation community is stronger when more of us work together. We have and will continue to pursue many avenues for this, but if you are a person of color who wants to share, we need and humbly ask for your voices, for your perspectives, for your stories. We are listening.
Here are some ideas for how we can get started:
- Participate in the “We are TU” blog series. Our aim with this series is to feature people who align with the mission of Trout Unlimited – if you care about clean water, healthy fisheries and vibrant communities, we want to hear from you. We want to get to know those who care about the future of this work, whether you take action online, follow our social networks, volunteer, sit on boards or staff. Nominate someone or yourself here or email Jenny at the address below.
- Share your story in your own way. If you would like to share your story or experience with Trout Unlimited, but ‘We are TU’ doesn’t seem like a fit, please let us know.
- Offer paid services. Are you a writer, photographer, or content creator that does the type of work we may contract? Please reach out.
- Give us feedback. Do you have feedback on our approach? We are all ears.
- If you are a guide or business owner, will you please email Walt at walt.gasson [at] tu [dot] org? Walt can talk with you about how TU can partner with you and/or your business.
Thank you again for being a part of this community. We look forward to hearing from you.