STREAM Girls is Trout Unlimited’s outdoor STEM program for girls. This watershed experience employs STEM-education (science, technology, engineering, math) plus recreation and arts to explore a local stream.
Every person is a citizen of her watershed, and Trout Unlimited has partnered with Girl Scouts USA to show what that means to us. By visiting a local stream and having the opportunity to observe it as scientists, anglers, and artists, girls will get the complete picture of what their stream could mean to them.
Over the course of multiple sessions, Trout Unlimited volunteers lead the Girl Scouts in observing a stream, collecting flow data, sampling macroinvertebrates (aka aquatic bugs), fly tying, and fly casting. Each day also gives the girls time to explore the natural area and record their thoughts and observations in their handbooks.
PATCH PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Eight core activities make a STREAM Girls program. You may choose activities that fit the interest and timeframe for your event; however, doing all eight core activities is required for your program to be considered a STREAM Girls “patch” program. That is, in order for the scouts to receive the patch, they must complete all of the following eight activities:
1. STREAM Walk
2. Fly casting
3. Go with the Flow!
4. Macroinvertebrate survey
5. Fly tying
6. STREAM stations and bracelets
7. Some amount of reflection throughout
8. Some amount of discussion throughout
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- STREAM Girls TU Volunteer Guide: Your one-stop doc for planning and executing a flexible and fun curriculum.
- STREAM Girls Field Notebook: Used by the scouts as they move through the program to record their observations, studies, and reflections.
- Equipment: Outlined before each activity in the Volunteer Guide.
- Volunteers: You will need volunteers to fill varying roles from logistical planning to leading the girls in activities.
- Scouts: Contact your local Girl Scouts Council to begin developing this worthwhile partnership! Click here to find a council near you.
- TU Staff: Not finding what you need or have questions? Get assistance from TU Headwaters staff as you begin your program. They are always available for teleconferences or to point you in the right direction for resources.
- STREAM Girls Promo Video on Vimeo all about the program!
- STREAM Girls Instructional with Promo can be used as a quick training video for volunteers or Girl Scouts leaders.
- STREAM Girls Training Webinar
- One Page Quick Reference Guide
- Liability Documents: Scroll down until you get to Liability Documents. There you will find youth liability waivers and photo model release forms. Above that there are youth-related documents including Trout Unlimited’s sexual abuse policy.
- STREAM Girls Volunteer Guide
- STREAM Girls Field Notebook
- This should be printed at a local print shop or Office Depot (click here for TU member discount). They are a half-page size, printed front and back; first page color rest with black & white; plastic cover with black back; spiral bound big enough to hold a pencil.
- Macroinvertebrate Key for sampling rivers
- Packing List – Clothes and Gear for STREAM Girls
- Partnership Overview Sample – who does what? This can be edited to fit your partnership and used as a Memorandum of Understanding between Trout Unlimited and Girl Scouts USA.
- Materials List for STREAM Girls
- Certificate of Achievement
- STREAM Girls Patch Design
- Patch Ordering information
- TFO Discounted Rods and Reels
- Shipwreck Beads
- TU Bulk Youth Membership Form (fill it out and return to Tara Granke or Franklin Tate)