Category

Community | Page 7

• Featured Advocacy

TU’s Advocate-in-Chief

A round of applause for a federal policy pro who “never met a wild trout stream he wouldn’t defend” As a talented lifelong athlete, Steve Moyer has collected plenty of hardware. Now he has a new award to put on the shelf, one earned not for a single great performance, but for a lifetime of…

• Featured Advocacy

Mr. Moyer goes to Washington

For more than 30 years, TU’s Steve Moyer has been fighting for coldwater conservation in the nation’s capitol WASHINGTON, DC. -- Growing up outside Philadelphia, Steve Moyer enjoyed the proverbial best of both worlds. The big city was just 20 miles away from Hatfield, Pa., but Moyer’s home had a creek running through the back…

• Community Travel

2022 TU Sweepstakes winners announced

Congratulations to the winners of the TU 2022 Spring Sweepstakes! Our grand prize winner, Neal L. of California, won a 4-days/5-nights Montana trip for two at the Linehan Outfitting Company’s Yaak Valley log cabin. He’ll enjoy fishing some of Montana’s pristine rivers and streams that hold big browns, rainbows, and more… and relaxing in the…

• Community TROUT Magazine

Rescued by Fly Fishing

The tones went off at about 2:30 a.m., and I rolled out of my bunk at the fire station, rubbing sleep from my eyes. I stepped into my bunker gear and slid my arms into the sleeves of my coat like an automaton. The dispatcher’s voice was calm and measured despite her dire message: “Engine…

• Community From the field

The restorative power of rainbows and reindeer dogs

The annual Armed Forces Appreciation Fishing trip has been fostering connections and community in Alaska since 2018.

Building community, one fishing trip at a time Some situations serve as a catalyst for community. When conditions are right, they turn strangers into friends, forging deep bonds in a matter of hours or days. For many anglers and outdoor lovers, sharing a day on the river is one of the best ways to get…

• TU Business

TU Business: Sweetwater Fly Shop

Dan Gigone and Diane Early are the owners here, and they run a great business. Dan is a licensed Montana outfitter, and their guide staff is second to none. If you want to book a trip on a host of different waters in this part of Montana, look no further.

They don’t call it Paradise Valley for nothing. The Yellowstone River makes its way from the base of Two Ocean Pass in Wyoming, through Yellowstone National Park and into Montana. The Yellowstone is the longest undammed river in the lower 48. Once it leaves the park, it makes its way through Paradise Valley, south of…