Category

Community | Page 8

• Community

Simms Head Coach

What happened when the Montana fishing gear manufacturer took on mental health amid a global pandemic Anglers know that fly fishing can be a mental health salve to help get through the crazy times, but in recent years the fishing gear company Simms has taken it one step further to help build mental resiliency for…

• TU Business

TU Business: Hubbard’s Yellowstone Lodge

Hubbard’s Yellowstone Lodge has twice been selected as an Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Lodge of the Year. That’s a prestigious honor, awarded by people who know the ins and outs of running a lodge.

At Trout Unlimited, we do all kinds of events. We do everything from the barbecue after the river cleanup to big blowouts like the upcoming CX3 in Portland, Maine. And we’re pretty fussy about where we do them, because a big part of any event is the location. The first law of event planning (or…

• Community TROUT Magazine

Behind the Cover: ‘Want to see something cool?’

Gary LaFontaine characterized fly fishing as the the pursuit of perfect moments, and I like to think this image is a good expression of that idea.

My friend Ethan Winchester and I had met up in the northern tip of Michigan for a day of remote, small-stream brook trout fishing. After a session of sunrise bow-and-arrow casting in an open meadow, we hopped back into the truck and Ethan asked, “Want to see something cool?” We went to an upper reach…

• Community From the President

The magic of water

An angler no longer asks himself, ‘Why do we fish?’

An angler no longer asks himself, ‘Why do we fish?’ My grandfather was a fishing fool. He lived down the Jersey Shore and would fish for bluefish or whatever else was running whenever he could. The fishing gene didn’t really pass to Dad. He was too busy playing hoops to ever really get into angling. …

• TU Business Trout Talk

TU Business: Thin Air Angler

He’s one of America’s best at the vise. He’s an Umpqua Signature Fly Designer. But you may not know that he’s an outstanding guide, too.

You may know him as a fly-tying savant. His reputation there is solid, and if you’ve ever watched him at a fly-fishing show, you can see immediately that it’s deserved. He makes hard things look easy. Bob Reece is a professional in every sense of the word. He’s one of America’s best at the vise.…

• TU Business

TU Business: Interior Federal Credit Union

Our membership has grown and diversified to include a host of different businesses, including financial institutions.

Over a decade ago, our TU Business membership was almost exclusively made up of what we might refer to as “the usual suspects.” Those fly shops, outfitters, guides, and gear manufacturers were our first Business members, and they still occupy a prominent place in our organization. But since then, our membership has grown and diversified…