Category

Community | Page 10

• Community

Writer, trailblazer, innovator, humorist …

... and much more. TROUT mag columnist Paul Brunn wins coveted award from American Museum of Fly Fishing Nothing warms my heart more than seeing someone receive the recognition they richly deserve. So it will be in a few weeks when TROUT magazine’s “Classics” columnist, Paul Bruun, receives the 2022 Izaak Walton Award from the…

• TU Business

TU Business: Barbless Flies

Barbless Flies is one of a handful of international TU Business members. They’re great promoters of ethical fish handling and the work of Trout Unlimited.

I’m a big fan of barbless hooks, and I don’t think I’m alone in that. Experience has taught me that fish are easier to release when you use a barbless hook, and science has taught me that we kill fewer fish when we go barbless. But you have to wonder why we continue to buy…

• TU Business Community

MothBear Outfitters

One of the best parts of my job at Trout Unlimited is working with young, emerging companies. Typically start-ups owned and managed by young people, these companies are making the fly-fishing business exciting. Often, they see conservation as an integral part of the business from the outset. Making good is part of the business plan,…

• TU Costa 5 Rivers Fishing

A passion, a hobby, an art, a sport

At TU's Costa 5 Rivers Meetup in Wisconsin, students learn why fishing and conservation go hand in hand Editor’s note: Student anglers recently converged on Wisconsin’s Driftless region for a weekend of fly fishing, camaraderie, and volunteerism at the Trout Unlimited Costa 5 Rivers Midwest Meet-Up. The following article was written by Linnea Turner for…

• TU Business

FishSki Provisions

FishSki is dedicated to producing great food for the great outdoors.

On a fishing trip long ago, we were halfway to our destination on the backroads of the sagebrush sea in southwest Wyoming when I asked my best friend Joe what he had brought in the way of food. He gave me a sharp look and said, “Beer. What else do we need?” That answer seemed…

• TU Business Trout Talk

A sweep for TU Businesses

The Orvis Guide Rendezvous returned after a two-year hiatus, and TU Business members dominated the prestigious Orvis Endorsed awards.

The partnership between Trout Unlimited and the Orvis Company goes back a long way. The birth of the company predates the birth of TU by a century, but the spirit of the two organizations has long been intertwined. The owners of the company, the Perkins family, have a long and proud history of supporting conservation…

• Community

Three questions for the Chairman of the Board

Longtime leader Terry Hyman talks about why he’s bullish on Trout Unlimited Terry Hyman worked for two decades in investment banking before transitioning to the private equity business, where he served as partner of a leading firm before founding his own. But if pressed, he would tell you that, beyond his family and good friends,…